The Government of India declared the DAYALBAGH EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTE as an institution Deemed to be a University from the session 1981-82, under Section 3 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956
(3 of 1956). The Institute has since been accorded the membership of the Association of Indian Universities. The Institute comprises faculties of Arts, Commerce, Education, Engineering, Science and Social Sciences. From the session 1986-87, the DEI Technical College, a diploma level Engineering Institution, from the session 1995-96, the DEI Prem Vidyalaya Girls’ Intermediate College, and from the session 2012-13, the REI Intermediate College have also been brought under the academic and administrative control of the Institute. The vocational courses were started in the year 1993. The Women’s wing of Technical College – Women’s Polytechnic was started in the year 2004, and in the same year, the Institute initiated a major programme of Distance Education to benefit students residing at urban-suburban interfaces. In the year 2015, Dayalbagh Educational Institute was empanelled as Government Training Partner (GTP) with Uttar Pradesh Skill Development Mission (UPSDM), Department of Vocational Training & Skill Development, Uttar Pradesh State Government to train youth in various vocational skills. Also a Deen Dayal Kaushal Kendra was sanctioned to DEI by MHRD to offer BVoc, MVoc and PhD degrees in skilling.
The Institute offers a whole range of central facilities to its students. These include Central Library, Computer Centre, Games and Sports facilities, Hostels, Language Laboratories, Medical and Health Care Centre, Multimedia Laboratory, Non-Resident Students’ Centres and Canteen. ‘Quantum and Nano-Computing Virtual Centre’ (QNCVC), a multidisciplinary research centre has been set up in the Institute, under Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India, through its National Mission on Education. The Centre has IIT Kanpur, IIT Delhi and IIT Madras as partners besides several international collaborators. The ‘Centre for Consciousness Studies (CCS)’ has also been established to undertake research pertaining to this fast emerging domain of knowledge. CCS hosts on regular basis leading luminaries in the field from across the world for lecture series, focused workshops and seminars/conferences.
The Institute has introduced a scheme of innovative and comprehensive education at university and other technical and general education levels which,
· aims at excellence but not at the cost of relevance.
· inculcates dignity of labour and encourages initiative and creative work.
· is multi-disciplinary, which prepares individuals for the increasingly techno-oriented society of tomorrow without uprooting them from their agricultural moorings.
· aims at generating in the alumni the basic values of humanism, secularism and democracy by exposing them to the principles of all the major religions of the world and to their own cultural heritage, thus developing in them an integrated personality of well-adjusted men whose ‘world has not been broken into fragments by narrow domestic walls’.
1.3. Brief History
Soon after Dayalbagh was founded in 1915, the Radhasoami Satsang Sabha, in pursuance of the lofty ideal to evolve the superman of tomorrow, started the Radhasoami Educational Institute, as a co-educational Middle School, open to all, on January 1, 1917. Administered by a Managing Committee registered under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860, the Institute, since the very beginning, combined the pursuit of academic studies with sensibilities involving moral and spiritual values. From the modest beginning, the nucleus not only grew and got divided but also spawned new institutions, as per the needs of the society and the demands of the time. Within six months, it was raised to the level of a High School; Intermediate classes were started in 1922; it became a Degree College in 1947 with the introduction of BCom. classes affiliated to Agra University; BEd (B.T.) classes were added in 1951 and the first batch of BSc students took their final examination in 1955.
A Technical School, which later developed into a College, was started in 1927 for imparting training in Automobile, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, leading to the award of diplomas in the concerned branches of Board of Technical Education, U.P. The Leather Working School which was started in 1930, gives instructions in both theory and practice for the manufacture of leather goods.
To further the cause of women’s education, Prem Vidyalaya was started in 1930. It is now an Intermediate College for girls. The Women’s Training College was established in 1947 with BA and BEd Programmes. Subsequently, in 1958, MEd in 1969, MA (Psychology/English/Hindi) and in 1976 MA (Music) Programmes started. It made phenomenal progress to become one of the premier women’s colleges in the country.
Engineering College, affiliated to Agra University, for the degree of BSc (Engineering), was added in 1950 to the evolution of chain of educational institutions in Dayalbagh.
A significant development of far-reaching consequence, in the history of education at Dayalbagh, was the establishment of the DAYALBAGH EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTE as a registered body in 1973, which integrated and brought under one umbrella all the educational institutions of Dayalbagh, including the School of Comparative Study of Religions, the School of Languages and the School of Art and Culture. In 1975, the Dayalbagh Educational Institute formulated an innovative and comprehensive programme of undergraduate studies which received approbation from the Government of Uttar Pradesh and the University Grants Commission, as a result of which, in 1981, the Ministry of Education, Government of India, conferred the status of an institution Deemed to be a University on the Dayalbagh Educational Institute, to implement the new scheme.
In 2009, the Dayalbagh Educational Institute was placed in the First Category of 38 “Deemed Universities” among 126 “Deemed Universities” reviewed by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India and was adjudged to be at the 8th rank among the 126 “Deemed Universities”. In 2013, the National Assessment & Accreditation Council (NAAC) assessed the Institute and placed it in the category of ‘A’ Grade Universities.
Open to All: The Institute is open to all irrespective of caste, creed, race, religion, economic position or social status.
The Institute is situated at DAYALBAGH, at a distance of about two kilometres from the city of Agra on its northern periphery. Dayalbagh is a self-contained colony well-known for its serene environment, secular establishments, like, the industries, the educational institutions, the agriculture farms, etc., and the activities of its inmates who lead an active, disciplined and co-operative community life, conforming to the high spiritual ideals of their faith. It is conveniently connected to the railway stations, bus-stands by the city buses, rikshaws, auto-rikshaws and taxies.
Dayal Bagh Rd, Dayal Bagh,
Agra, Uttar Pradesh 282005
Phone: 0562 280 1545