The Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies ( KUFOS ) is an autonomous public funded institution established on 20th November 2010, and governed by the Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies Act, 2010 passed by the Kerala Law ( Legislation 1 ) Department vide Notification No. 19540 / Leg.1 / 2010/Law dated 28 th January 2011. This is the first Fisheries University in India coming under the Fisheries Ministry with its headquarters at Panangad , 12 km. away from Kochi city, along the NH-47. Ernakulam South Railway Station is the nearest Railway Station, 12 km away from the campus. Total land area is 69.10 acres.
College of Fisheries , Panangad, Kochi and the Fisheries Research Station, Puduvype were disaffiliated from Kerala Agricultural University to form KUFOS which started functioning with effect from 1 st April 2011. This is the primary and principal instrumentality of Kerala State in providing human resources, skills and technology required for the sustainable development of Fisheries and Ocean Studies. It acts as a centre of excellence for human resource development in Fisheries and Ocean Studies and the nodal agency to establish relationship with institutions and universities functioning at national and international level. The mission of the University is to serve as a flagship University of higher learning through demonstrated and growing excellence in teaching, research, extension, training, scholarship and creative work in Fisheries and Ocean studies, comparable with global standards that will benefit the country and the world at large.
His Excellency the Governor of Kerala is the Chancellor and the Hon.Minister for Fisheries is the Pro-Chancellor of the University. The supreme authority of the University is the Senate and the chief executive body is the Governing Council. The Vice- Chancellor is the principal executive who is assisted by the Pro-Vice chancellor, Registrar, Finance Officer, Deans of Faculties, Controller of examination, Director of Research, Director of Extension, Directors of Schools and Heads of Departments.
• The Mission of the University is to serve as a flagship University of higher learning through demonstrated and growing excellence in teaching,research,extension,scholarship and creative work in fisheries and ocean studies,comparable with global standards that will benefit the country and the world at large.
OBJECTIVES AS PER KUFOS ACT 2010
• KUFOS was established vide KUFOS Act 2010
• KUFOS extends to the whole of the state of Kerala
• Furthering the advancement in learning and conduct of research in fisheries,ocean studies and allied subjects and research scholarships
• Imparting education in fisheries and ocean studies and allied branches
• To formulate new courses and curriculum in fisheries and Ocean studies sectors in accordance with the technical advances in the respective fields
• To act as a nodal agency to establish relationship with institutions and Universities functioning in national and international levels
• To act as a centre of excellence having leading role for Human Resource Development in Fisheries and Ocean Studies sectors
• To foster and encourage entrepreneurship in fisheries and Ocean studies sectors
Campuses of KUFOS
• The campus of College of Fisheries,Panangad(eastern and western,Around 70 acres)
• The Fisheries Research Station Puduvypeen(50 acres)
• Thiruvallam campus,Thiruvananthapuram(10 acres)
The study of Fisheries Science has got vast opportunities in Aquaculture, artificial breeding, fish culture and also in exploiting the immense fishery resources. Teaching is carried out at the Panangad campus of the University. The University has world renowned, eminent teacher scientists, full-fledged laboratories, fish hatcheries, farms, library and computer lab. National Service Scheme, NCC ( Naval Wing ) , Placemnt Cell and the Parent Teacher Association take care of the extra-curricular activities of the students. Ample facilities are there for sports and games. Hostel facility is available for both boys and girls.
In the academic year 2011-2012, the University offers Under graduate ( B.F.Sc.), Post-graduate( M.F.Sc.) and Doctoral (Ph.D. ) programmes in Fisheries Science under the Faculty of Fisheries. The courses under the Faculty of Fisheries are offered in full compliance with the ICAR pattern. Post–graduate programmes are offered in four disciplines and Doctoral programmes in three disciplines. There are 50 seats for the B.F.Sc. programme out of which 31 seats are open. Seven seats are allotted to ICAR candidates and six reserved for children of fishermen. Out of the 14 seats for the M.F.Sc. programme, 4 seats are allotted to ICAR candidates.
In the academic year 2012-2013, the University started Post graduate courses in Physical Oceanography & Ocean Modelling (M.Sc.-PO & OM), Biological Oceanography & Bio-Diversity (M.Sc.-BO & BD) and MBA.
RESEARCH AND EXTENSION
Several Research projects sponsored by various funding agencies such as ICAR, NATP, DBT, KSCSTE, DST etc. in the fields of fish processing, value addition, Marine Biotechnology, Fish toxicology, ornamental fish breeding & rearing, fish disease and health management, fresh water prawn breeding & biodiversity, Physical oceanography and marine meteorology are being carried out in the University. The students undergo training / work experience at the research stations located at Puduvype and Kumarakom.
Training programmes in marine and fresh water fish keeping for scientists, extension workers and entrepreneurs are being conducted regularly by the University. Efforts are being made to develop certain villages of Kerala as Model Fish Villages for the socio-economic development of rural and unemployed youth.
Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies
Panangad P.O., Kochi
Pin 682 506
Ph. Nos. : 0484 2700964, 0484 2700598, 0484 2700274, 0484 2700596,2703782,2701095,2701085
Fax : 91 484 2700337, 91 484 2703782, 91 484 2701095, 91 484 2701085
-mail : email@example.com
Website : www.kufos.ac.in